Pepper enjoying a rainy walk.
So a lot has happened since my last blog update a few months ago.
1. I finally moved into my new house (more posts on that later)!!! I didn’t manage to move in by Christmas, much to Mr. Big’s dismay, but I did move in at the beginning of January.
2. I loving work and getting my ducks in a row to start applying for my Master’s.
3. We have a new addition to the family.
For the record, I was not planning on getting another dog, but hey, sometimes life happens. The American Black and Tan Coonhound Rescue has contacted me mid-february to ask if I could foster a Coonhound at a local New Orleans shelter. I couldn’t foster until the beginning of March because I was still taking care of my parents’ dog while they were on vacation, but I said I was interested.
Well, long story short they couldn’t find any other fosters after a week or so and she was out of time at the shelter. She was on medical hold for kennel cough and heart worms and had been in medical isolation for three weeks. They had no more room to keep here and she was up for the pink juice. So…. I took her.
She was so skinny! And that was after putting on almost 10 lbs at the shelter. Yikes!
I don’t think she was ever abused, just neglected. She didn’t seem like she’d ever had much human interaction and everything about being in a house seemed new to her.
She also ate (!!!!) my cellphone on day 2 of having her, but I guess she just knew I wanted a new phone…
But look how sweet she is! And her and Pepper get along really well, so after a week I decided to keep her.
We have a lot of training to do, and of course heartworm treatment beginning next month, but for now we are just trying to put on weight and learn how to be loved.
Pepper and I have been trying to make our way to the beach all summer and for whatever reason we never actually made it, until today! Our friends Will (human) and Louis (dog) joined us and it made for a fun day out. We had the most perfect weather, we were the only people there, and the water was lovely and warm.
We swam a bunch, chased some tennis balls, lounged on a sand bar, and Pepper may or may not have tried to swim-chase a pelican but she quickly realized how big they are and thought better of it.
Someone (Pepper) ate a box of 8 donuts while I was out last night While assessing the damage, I realized that kind of dedication to junk food binging can only be caused by a handful of possible scenarios. 1. she got dumped by her boyfriend for a younger, hotter bitch, 2. She just saw a particularly sappy engagement post on Facebook that serves as a painful reminder that she’s not married like all of her other friends or 3. she’s realized her modeling days are behind her and her dream of being featured on the cover of “Horse and Hound” will never be realized.
Thank God she can’t open the freezer to get to the ice cream.
Ok, I confess, it was actually a turtle, but that doesn’t have nearly the same play on words now does it?
Yesterday was unseasonably cool here in Southern Louisiana (meaning we hadn’t hit triple digits on the thermometer by 8 am) so Pepper and I decided to take advantage of this cold snap by sneaking in a long(ish) run before the Sun realized it was late for work. Apparently we weren’t he only ones with that good idea, as a mile into our run we met this little guy cruising along the levee.
Pepper was convinced it was a landmine and didn’t want to go near it, I just thought the little dude was quite cute. However, I didn’t think he was going to make it over the concrete wall behind him without some assistance so I relocated him to the tall grass down by the river where (I thought) he belongs. I didn’t want him to end up under someone bicycle tire.
From there we continued on, but not without feeling that we were good neighbors to the local wildlife. 🙂
More on the actual run portion of this adventure later.
Yesterday was Pepper’s 3rd birthday!! Unfortunately, I started my new job yesterday so we couldn’t spend the entire day together, but she did get to spend the day at daycare before coming home to open presents!
She still makes the same face she did as a puppy.
She also got a free fancy of cookie to bring home from the guys at her daycare.
And she not-so-subtle patiently waited for me to take her picture before tearing through her bag of presents.
I think overall it was a good day! Happy Birthday, Pepper!!!
That’s right, the Dynamic Ginger Duo is back to blogging after far too much time away. My favorite Happiness Engineer and good friend Pam was
bugging me gently reminding me the other day that I hadn’t blogged for a while. “It can’t have been that long since I last blogged,” I thought to myself, so I decided to click on over to my blog and see where I left off. I was wrong, it had been a while, like…. 10 months. 10 months! I could have made and birthed a human in that amount of time! (I didn’t, for the record.)
So, no babies, but I did get up to some other things in my time away. Here’s a few things that have happened in the last 10 months:
- I graduated nursing school, got a job in an ICU, left my ICU job, and am now I’m about to start a new position in an ER. I already have tons of good nursing stories to share, but you likely won’t see many of them as HIPPA tends to frown on that kind of thing.
- I bought a house here in New Orleans that I’m now in the middle of renovating. Like, really renovating, not just painting a couple of walls. It’s been a bit stressful, but it’s coming together nicely now. Lots of house updates to come, I promise.
- I’m semi-homeless at the moment, as I gave up my apartment, and the new house is a bit of a construction zone and not particularly comfortable to live in (admittedly, I under-estimated how long renovations would take by a few months). Luckily Pepper made friends with a nice guy she met in the neighborhood, and we are staying with him for a few weeks. Well, really more like a few months. Ok, if I’m honest, he’s just praying we’re out by Christmas, but he’s being a good sport about the whole thing. So far we’ve saturated his life with our gingerness and glitter and he hasn’t kicked us out yet, so we’re just crossing our fingers and paws that our luck continues. I haven’t settled on a good blog name for him yet, so for now we’ll call him Mr. Big (and yes, that’s Sex and the City reference).
- Training for races has been on the back burner since the fall, but I’m currently getting back into the groove. I returned to the the pool last week for the first time since my half Ironman last year, I’ve stepped up my running distances in the mornings, and I’m currently in the market for a proper triathlon bike of my own. Hurray! Right now the race goal is Ironman 70.3 Austin in October, but I haven’t quite pulled the trigger on signing up yet. I should really do that….
And of course…. Pepper! She’s still Peppering right along, as she does. She’s adapted pretty well to the turmoil of moving. She was initially a little
out of sorts bitchy, but she’s settled down since. Here’s what she’s been up to for the past few months:
Will post more updates soon- it’s good to be back! 🙂